Wednesday, August 17, 2011

#2 Stephen's Struggles

As King continues the journey through his life, it becomes obvious that he has experienced his fair share of struggles and challenges. From growing up with a single mother to working to support his family, or alcoholism and drug addiction, the list goes on and on. And yet while all of these things combined would most likely lead the average man to insanity, King is still able to joke about some of the lowest points in his life.

“A year or so before, observing the rapidity with which huge bottles of Listerine were disappearing from the bathroom, Tabby asked me if I drank the stuff. I responded with a self-righteous hauteur that I most certainly did not. Nor did I. I drank the Scope instead. It was tastier, had that hint of mint(97).”

This was the first time in the book that I actually laughed out loud. King’s ability to make a reader laugh about such a tragic and devastating subject is proof of how talented he is as a writer and storyteller.

No comments:

Post a Comment